Parker Business Scholars Program
The Parker Business Scholars Program (PBSP) provides personalized leadership development through innovative coursework, enriching experiential learning opportunities and a challenging service project. Students selected for the program will gain access to exclusive field experiences, guest speakers and enhanced responsibilities that will help set them apart as future leaders and sought-after employees.
Participation in the PBSP is a rigorous, year-long commitment. All students selected to participate will gain direct access to Mr. Greg Parker, each Parker Talks speaker series guest and receive recognition as a Parker Business Scholar at graduation. Additionally, selected students will receive internship placement assistance.
Students will participate in a series of hands-on activities designed to enhance the knowledge gained from their required capstone course.
Corporate Site Visits – Each semester, students will visit a company’s headquarters and meet with senior executives to hear more about the company’s leadership, mission, company culture and tour the premises. Students will also have the opportunity to tour the Parker Companies’ executive offices, speaking with Mr. Greg Parker and his team.
Experiential Learning Trip – During their time in the PBSP, students will travel to a major U.S. city conducting company site visits and interacting with business executives to learn more about the company’s leadership philosophy, corporate culture and tour the facilities.
Ropes Course – At the start of the program, students will attend a full day ropes course to enhance team building.
Service-Learning Project – PBSP students will play a large role in organizing and putting on the Parker Distinguished Speaker Series. With guidance from professional Parker College staff, student scholars will assist with planning, execution and hosting Speaker Series guests.
This program is only open to students in the Parker College of Business. Students who intend to apply to the Parker Business Scholars Program must ensure they meet all of the following criteria:
- Have senior standing (at least 90 earned credit hours) by the start of the Fall 2020 term;
- Have a minimum institutional GPA of 3.3;
- Have a declared major in the Parker College of Business;
- Will not graduate prior to the end of the following Spring 2021 term.
In addition to meeting these criteria, students will be further evaluated on their academic excellence, demonstrated leadership experience, communication skills, and potential for future leadership growth and professional development.
Completed applications are due to the Director of Experiential Learning & Student Engagement (Business 3300B). Only complete applications will be accepted. The application form requires completion of the following:
- Applicant information questionnaire;
- Typed answers to short questions and essay prompts;
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the Parker College;
- Copy of the applicant’s professional résumé;
- Copy of the applicant’s Spring 2020 course schedule.
Upon review of these materials, highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in a second round interview before a committee comprised of Parker College staff and faculty, as well as local business leaders.
General Program Benefits:
- Recognition as a Parker Business Scholar at Commencement;
- Specialized capstone course (BUSA 4131) taught by Dean Amason;
- Direct access to Mr. Greg Parker, CEO and Founder of the Parker Companies;
- Company and Experiential Learning visits;
- Internship placement assistance;
- Direct access to Parker Distinguished Speaker Series guests;
- And more…
Last updated: 2/17/2020