Georgia Southern University is a proud partner of the Georgia FinTech Academy, an online talent development platform developed through collaboration with the University System of Georgia and Georgia’s FinTech industry leaders. Courses and programs developed through the FinTech Academy allow learners to access the specialized educational experiences necessary to enter the FinTech sector regardless of geographic location.
What is FinTech?
FinTech is the technology that makes electronic banking possible including everything from Gift cards, debit cards, credit cards, ATMs, and the phone apps you use to electronically transfer money to your friends or pay bills. Fintech allows you to invest, insure, and bank from your mobile device without ever having to set foot in a building. Courses in financial technology prepare you for a high demand career in areas such as information technology, cybersecurity, data science, and business.
Did you know Georgia is home to the largest concentration of financial technology companies in the country? Georgia companies process more than 70% of all credit and debit card transactions in the United States. Georgia has truly earned the name “Transaction Alley”!
Fintech in Georgia:
- $72 billion+ annual revenue in Georgia
- 160+ financial technology (FinTech) companies
- 70% of all U.S. payments processed run through a company located in Georgia
- 50,000+ employees in FinTech in Georgia
- 15 million+ global card-enabled merchants rely upon Georgia companies
FinTech Core Courses
For students with a budding interest in FinTech, a good way to explore your interest further is by taking an introductory course as an elective. Sampling courses as electives allows students an opportunity to explore a given subject area as a potential career choice before pursuing that path.
The following courses have been developed by Georgia State University as part of the Georgia FinTech Academy and are available both online and in a hybrid format through USG eMajor. Students at participating institutions are able to seamlessly register for these classes through their home institutional banner system without any transient admission requirements.
FTA 4001 Foundations of FinTech
FTA 4002 Financial Technologies
FTA 4003 Commercial Banking and FinTech
FTA 4005 Introduction to Financial Data Analytics
FTA 4100 Introduction to Information Security for FinTech
eMajor courses are supported by USG eCampus and offer several benefits to students such as:
- Low $199/credit hour tuition rate
- Dedicated student success coaches
- Free online tutoring
Students enrolling in eMajor courses should be aware of the differences between collaborative courses and institutional courses:
- eMajor courses follow the USG Collaborative Academic Calendar. Important dates for these courses (such as start/end dates, midpoint, etc.) may differ from the institutional calendar. Students are expected to be aware of the collaborative calendar dates.
- eMajor courses are delivered through the GoVIEW Learning Management System. Students are given access to courses on the first day of class. However, students may login to GoVIEW and explore the eConnections tutorial course starting two weeks prior to the start of the semester. Visit the eMajor website for information on accessing GoVIEW.
- eMajor students have free access to online Library, Tutoring, and Writing Resources in addition to existing on-campus resources.
- Withdrawals from eMajor courses must be initiated by the student through USG eCampus. Information on withdrawal procedures and other important student forms is available on the eMajor website.
For questions about eMajor courses and programs available at Georgia Southern University, contact:
Joseph Ruhland, Ph.D.
FinTech Programs at Georgia Southern University
Last updated: 4/2/2021